Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilisation (IASTM)
Do you have a painful lump on the ankle? Do you feel bumps in the Achilles tendon? How about nodules in the arch? Or tender muscle knots in the calf ? It could be the formation of scar or fibrous tissue causing pain and restricting movement
Scarring can happen anywhere, not only on top of the skin but also inside the body around joints, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Scar tissue gets laid down naturally by the body in response to irritation or injury. The fibrous, strong scar tissue is meant to protect an area during a healing process but often ends up restricting movement and causing pain due to improper healing or when the healing process ended too soon. Over time, the scarred tissues would degenerate and become weak, tight, and inelastic, making the area prone to re-injury.
What is IASTM?
At The Footwork Clinic, we are trained in using specifically shaped and medical grade instruments (also called Instrument-Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilisation, IASTM) to diagnose and treat soft tissue dysfunction. The use of these instruments enables clinicians to efficiently locate and treat dysfunction within the targeted soft tissue.
Key benefits of the treatment:
- Resolves chronic conditions thought to be permanent
- Decreases overall time of treatment
- Allows faster rehabilitation/recovery
- Reduces need for medications
- Patients can continue to engage in everyday activities
IASTM is usually applied in conjunction with other rehabilitative therapies to achieve long-term results.
Our techniques break down the soft tissue restrictions and scar tissues that prevent the area from healing properly and naturally improve the elasticity of the injured tissues. This is achieved by:
1. Breaking down scar tissue (microtrauma to damaged or fibrous tissues, kick-starts soft tissue healing)
2. Release of soft tissue adhesions, fibrosis, and fascial restrictions
3. Increases circulation around treated area up to 4x according to some Studies
4. Redirecting collagen formation (tissue remodelling)
Your therapist will guide your body to allow these healing processes occur naturally. We build stronger and more flexible tissues for true healing of the body, that means you will be feeling better for longer!
Who benefits from IASTM?
ANS: Anyone who has a chronic soft tissue pain or injury.
Soft tissues are the body cells that surround and support your skeletal system. They include muscles, nerves, tendons, ligaments, cartilage and other connective tissue such as fascia. These tissues are often under stress or damaged due to biomechanical problems such as misalignment of the foot and ankle, flat feet, high arches, or an ankle injury
Both scarring and degeneration are common as a result of a soft tissue injury and can lead to chronic pain and limitations in movement.
What can I expect during treatment?
Some discomfort may be expected as your practitioner applies the instrument over the damaged or scarred area. Your practitioner will communicate constantly with you to ensure a level of discomfort is tolerable.
What can I expect from the treatment?
Many of our patients would feel an immediate relief of tension after the treatment.
IASTM was developed by experienced medical professionals around the world through years of detailed research. Studies have showed long-term clinical benefits of improvements in range of motion, strength and pain perception following 6-8 weeks of treatment.Our specialist sports podiatrists have been trained in IASTM specifically for foot and leg conditions including:
- Heel Pain, Arch Pain, Plantar Fasciitis / Fasciosis, Heel Spurs
- Ankle Pain / Injury
- Foot, Ankle and Knee Arthritis
- High Arches & Flatfleet
- Bunions / Hammer Toes
- Aching Feet / Foot Stiffness
- Achilles Tendon Pain / Injury
- Morton’s Neuroma
- Shin Splints
- Tight / Aching Leg Muscles
- Knee, Hip and Lower Back Pain
- Patellar Tendinopathy
- Post-Surgical and Traumatic Scars
- Myofascial Pain and Restrictions
- Chronic Joint Swelling Associated with Sprains/Strains
- Ligament Sprains
- Muscle Strains / Tears
- Non-Acute Bursitis
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITB Pain)
- Plantar Plate Injury
Contact us NOW for your treatment solution!
- Active Release Techniques
- Corrective / Rehabilitation Excercise
- Foot Mobilisation Techniques
- Fungal Nail Laser Treatment
- General Podiatry Foot Care
- What We Help
- Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilisation IASTM
- Kinesiology Sports Taping
- Low Level Laser Therapy(LLLD)
- Movement Assessment Technologies (MAT)
- Nail Bracing
- Orthotic Therapy
- Shockwave Therapy and Heel Pain
- Trigenics Functional Muscle Neurology
- Western Medical Acupuncture